Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Royal Enfield ThunderBird 350 First Ride

It had been 3 months since I booked my ThunderBird. Finally on 9th of this month (October, 2013) I got her. Yes, indeed it was love at first sight. I couldn't peel my eyes off her and at the same time, just couldn't stop grinning as well. This was specifically because I aspired for this particular Royal Enfield ever since the first time I saw it.
Anyways, so on the the date of the delivery I took half day off, rushed to the dealer (South Delhi Automobiles). The paper work took just few more minutes. And then I got her home. My friend @hackernewbie had already mentioned few details to take care of. Initially I make it clear not to cross the 50kmph mark under any circumstances. Although I was having some trouble (still having) with the Neutral, but I believe that can be addressed on the first service. Here are few snaps from the day.




The sheer excitement of having standing downstairs was a bit too much, so I had to go out on a ride. Although, given my experience ( next to zero) I didn't venture out much but only thought it better to stay within the locality itself only.

Next day, at office was having a tough time to wait for the evening to come so I could again go back to ride. 











With the initial few kms done, I did realize that this variant of Royal Enfield motorcycles were way way smooth than the previous versions. Although my description of "Previous Version" is that of a 1990 Bullet Standard.
Nonetheless, the ride was smooth, especially at higher gears the response of the engine is simply beautiful. 
Secondly, the brakes. I mean front Disc brakes are ok, but rear Disc brakes..? Well, to put simply the confidence those pair discs generate is monumental. I could easily feel the braking power the rear wheel. Although the motorcycle did fishtail at one level, but that is another point. 

Thirdly, the all new digital trip meter and and the mind boggling & eye soothing Blue backlight. It simply takes you off your feet.






 Fourthly, the stability. be it proprietary to RE, but the ThunderBird does bite down the road while it's moving. Given it's structure, the stability is added bonus. Applied the rear brakes hard once, and the motorcycle did skidded for a moment ( And I did loose few heart beats) but it again regained it's stability.

All in all, there isn't anything here that you folks don't know already . But the joy of riding her could only be expressed in sharing with you all. 

Oh, and it slipped my mind. But I did get a name for her. I call her Night Fury





1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1p26zkMSs_8

    ReplyDelete